Coastguard Station

Home|Worbarrow|Coastguard Station|Fern Hollow|Gate Cottages|Hill Cottage|Sea Cottage|Sheepleaze|The Bungalow

A Coastguard Station was built at Worbarrow circa 1855.

It was designed to house eight Coastguard men and their families.

The Coastguard Station closed by 1911 and was demolished around 1912.

The Coastguard Station c.1910. The house to the left of the photo was Hill Cottage, the home of Henry Miller.

 

Remains of Coastguard Station c.1918

 

Remains of Coastguard Station c.1918 – ‘colourised’ image

In 1861, eight coastguard men and their families were living at the station. The Coastguard in charge was John Wingent. In total 36 people were living at the station.

In 1871, eight coastguard men and their families were living at the station. The Coastguard in charge was George Blunden. In total 40 people were living at the station.

In 1881, seven coastguard men and their families were living at the station. The Coastguard in charge was Edward Newberry. In total 35 people were living at the station.

In 1891, seven coastguard men and their families were living at the station. The Coastguard in charge was John Peek. In total 30 people were living at the station.

In 1901, seven coastguard men and their families were living at the station. The Coastguard in charge was John Johns. In total 30 people were living at the station.

1844: Miraculous Escape

Poole, Saturday, April 13

MIRACULOUS ESCAPE. – Lieut. Wilmot, R.N., of the Warbarrow Coast Guard Station, received some severe injuries about a fortnight ago whilst on night duty, he having (owing to the extreme darkness of the night) walked over the highest part of Gadcliff, which is an elevation of 128 feet. The first portion of the cliff is about 40 feet perpendicular, the remainder being on the slope, both rugged and rocky; he was shortly after being picked up by one of his men, who fortunately heard him call for help, and by the assistance of others , was carefully cenveyed [conveyed] to his residence.

Hampshire Advertiser & Salisbury Guardian, Saturday 13 April 1844