The Holland Family
John Holland (1845–1920)
John was born on 6 May 1845 at Somerstown, Middlesex.
John married Rose Ballam Hansford (1861–1944) on 25 August 1879 at St Paul’s Church, Hounslow Heath. Rose was born on 7 March 1861 at Turnerspuddle, Dorset. She was the daughter of John Hansford and Elizabeth Ballam.
John and Rose had eleven children, two of whom died in infancy and three of whom died serving their country:
- John James Holland (1880–1881) – b. Heston
- James Edward Holland (1882–?)– b. Hounslow
- Thomas Henry Holland (1884-1886)
- William Holland (1886–1946) – b. Hounslow – never married – lived with Percy & Nellie Kerley first at Baltington and then East Stoke – died in Poole and buried in an unmarked grave at East Stoke.
- Henry ‘Harry’ Holland (1888–1915) – Private Henry Holland is killed in action on 8 December 1915 in Mesopotamia (now Iraq) aged 27 – he is commemorated on the Memorial Plaque in Tyneham Church
- Albert Edward Holland (1892–1972) – b. Wareham. In 1920 he was living at Lutton.
- Margaret Elizabeth Holland (1894-1977) – b.Bere Regis – known as Meg -married Alf Runyard at Tyneham on and lived at East Stoke before moving to East Lulworth
- John Holland (1897–1916)– John b. Bere Regis – John served as a Private in the Hampshire Regiment in WW1. Sadly John was shot during the Battle of the Somme and died of his wounds at Netley Military Hospital. He was buried at Netley Abbey and is commemorated on the Netley War Memorial and on the Memorial Plaque in Tyneham Church
- Alice Rose Holland (1898–1993) – known as Rose b. Bere Regis
- Charlton Holland (1901–1944) – b. Bere Regis – Able-Seaman Charlton Holland is killed in WW2 on 25 February 1944 when a German U-Boat sinks HMS Mahratta
- Percy Victor Holland (1903–1991)– see below
In 1911, John and Rose were living at Hurpston near Bradle along with five of their six youngest children: Albert, John, Alice, Charlton and Percy.
John senior died in 1920. In September 1939 Rose was living at 5 Steer Road, Swanage. She died in Swaage on
Percy Victor Holland (1903-1991)
Percy was born at Bere Regis on 1 April 1903.
Percy married Flo Davis on 4 June 1927 at Tyneham
Page last updated: 4 January 2021
Home|Off Limits|Baltington|Charnel|North Egliston|Povington|South Egliston|Tyneham House|Up Under Barrow|Whiteway Off Limits: Up Under Barrow is strictly off limits at all times. Up Under Barrow lies on the track from Baltington to Worbarrow. Former residents are believed to include: 1939 Percy Victor Holland (1903-1991) & familyPercy Kerley (1886-1959) & family Continue reading
The Kerley Family were living at Up Under Barrow, between Baltington and Worbarrow, in 1939 Percy Henry John Kerley (1886-1959) Percy was born on 2 May 1886 in Christchurch, Hampshire. He was the son of woodcutter Cornelius Kerley (1843-1937) and his wife Sarah Sophia Kerley nee King (1846-1915). Percy married… Continue reading
Home|Families|A-E|F-J|K-O|P-T|U-Z The Holland Family John Holland (1845–1920) John was born on 6 May 1845 at Somerstown, Middlesex. John married Rose Ballam Hansford (1861–1944) on 25 August 1879 at St Paul’s Church, Hounslow Heath. Rose was born on 7 March 1861 at Turnerspuddle, Dorset. She was the daughter of John Hansford… Continue reading
HISTORY stopped at Tyneham 32 years ago. Just before Christmas,1943, the villagers gave up their homes to make way for an army firing range, and the village died. The villagers of Tyneham never went back. Their bitter and protracted struggle for possession of their homes ended in failure as the… Continue reading