The House Family lived at North Egliston Farm from at least 1931 until the evacuation in December 1943.
Herbert John House (1889-1958)
Herbert was born at East Chaldon on 9 February 1889. He was the son of William House (1848-1934), born at East Knighton, and his wife Mary Jane House nee Hammett (1848-1908), born at Tolpuddle. Mary’s mother was a Loveless and those familiar with the Tolpuddle Martyrs will recognise the surnames of Hammett and Loveless.
Herbert was baptised at Chaldon Herring on 17 March 1889. His father William’s trade was recorded as carpenter.
Two years later, Herbert was living in the Dairyhouse at Affpuddle with his parents and four older siblings. His father William was now a dairy farmer. By 1901 his father was farming at Fossil Farm, East Chaldon which he continued until his death in 1934.
We have not yet been able to establish where Herbert was living at the time of the 1901 census.
In 1911, Herbert was living with his mother and father at Fossil Farm.
Herbert married Jessie Emily Pitcher Bowditch (1893-1978) –
Herbert and Jessie had six children:
- William House (1913-2001)
- Albert Arthur House (1916-1999)
- Gerald House (1918-2006) – Gerald
- Sylvia House (1919-1999) – Sylvia married George Francis Braisby (1917-2000) of Blackmanston Farm, Steeple in 1943. George and Sylvia were the last couple to be married at Tyneham.
- Gwendoline ‘Gwen’ House (1923-2016) – Gwen married Frank Dicker
- Poppy Ciceley House (1925-2006) – Poppy was 18 when evacuated. She married Clifford Budden in 1946 and they had three children.
On 29 September 1939 the family were recorded living at North Egliston Farm.
HOUSE Herbert John of North Holworth Farm Owermoigne Dorset died 15 August 1958 at Dorset County Hospital Dorchester Dorset. Administration London 1 December (1958) to Lloyds Bank Limited.
Effects £21,324 17s 6d.