William Lush Stickland (1814-1881)
William was baptised at Tyneham on 12 May 1814. Like his father William Stickland (1780-1851) before him, William junior was a fisherman.
William married Susannah Orchard (1811-1899) on 2 March 1840 at Tyneham. She was born at Broadwinsor and was Governess to the Mansell family at Smedmore House. The witnesses at the wedding were Charles Spencer and Elizabeth Balson. [William and Susannah returned the compliment just over a year later on 14 March 1841 when Charles and Elizabeth married.]
[The same year as he was married, William aged 26, and his younger brother Thomas aged 23, were sentenced to six calendar months’ imprisonment for smuggling.
William was committed on 21 Sep 1840 and taken to Dorchester Gaol the same day. William Stickland, 26, a fisherman from Tyneham in Purbeck, was 5ft 11 1/4 inches, with light brown hair, hazel eyes and fair complexion. He had five large moles in the middle of the right cheek and a dimple chin. He was married but had no children. While there William was described as orderly. He was discharged on 20 Mar 1841.]
Please note the above references are being reviewed given our William attended a wedding just over a week before the stated discharge date.
William and Susannah had three children:
- Louis William Stickland (1841-1915) – Louis was born on 2 February. <<<<Click on his name to learn much more.
- Charles Albert Stickland (1842-?) – Charles was baptised on 25 April 1842 and was a fisherman.
- Sarah Stickland (1845-1931) – Sarah married James Gover from Corfe Castle. They had two daughters, Emma and Louisa, who both moved to the Rhondda Valleys, South Wales, along with their husbands Hubert Long (1871-1951) and John ‘Jack’ Mead (1867-?) respectively. In 1891, James, Sarah and Emma were living at Gaulter Cottages (the former Coastguard Cottages) near Kimmeridge. By 1901 James and Sarah were in domestic service at West Bucknowle House as gardener and laundress. After James died in 1905, Sarah moved to Wales to be close to her daughters.
William was coxswain of the lifeboat ‘Mary Heape’ which was stationed at Charnel near Kimmeridge. There have been two lifeboats at Kimmeridge both called Mary Heape. The initial five-oared boat first saw service in 1872 and was replaced by a ten-oared boat in 1881. The station closed in 1896.
William died on 19 March 1881 aged 64 and was buried at St. Mary’s Church at Tyneham on 26 March 1881. The photograph below shows the iron grave marker.
After William’s death, Susannah lived on her own at West Holme and died in December 1898 aged 87. She was buried at Tyneham on 3 January 1899.
Page last updated: 15 Mar 2020