The Wellman Family lived at Gwyle Cottages from about 1912 until 1936.
Robert Wellman (1887-1964)
Bob was born at Upwey in Dorset to Walter Wellman and his wife Susan Wellman nee Cox.
Bob married Alice Victoria Lucas (1887-1975), the daughter of ‘Shepherd Lucas’ and his wife Jane who lived in Post Office Row – see the Lucas family page.
Bob and Alice had six children:
- Alice Edith Rose Wellman (1912-1992) – Rose worked as a servant for the Bond Family at Tyneham House. In 1934 she married Joseph Alfred Dando (1912-2002). Joe was also a servant at Tyneham House, having worked there from 1926. Rose and Joe had twelve children – seven boys and five girls.
- Vera Winifred Wellman (1918-1970) – Vera married Herbert Arthur Stockley (1917-1995) in 1941 and they had one son Ivan Owen Stockley (1944-1987).
- Dennis James Wellman (1919-2004) – Jim married in 1950 and had a son and a daughter.
- Ivy Jane Wellman (1921-1997) – Ivy married in 1946 and had a daughter and a son.
- Peter Wellman
- Freda Joyce Wellman (1927-2010) – Joyce married and had three sons.
The family left Tyneham approximately seven years before the evacuation and in September 1939 were living at East Whiteway Farm Cottages near Church Knowle.
In October 1979, the three surviving Wellman sisters, Rose, Ivy and Joyce, returned to Tyneham for the first church service to be held there in 36 years.
Page last updated: 28 June 2021