Off Limits: South Egliston Cottage and the whole of South Egliston are strictly off limits at all times.
House, at S. Egliston, W. of (4), consists of an 18th-century cottage of one storey and attic built on a two-room plan and an early 19th-century addition to the W. of two full storeys with a verandah to the S. The verandah roof is carried on moulded timber standards and decorative timber arches with trellis spandrels. There is a further addition of uncertain date to the E. (Ruinous)
'Tyneham', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 2, South east (London, 1970), pp. 299-303. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/dorset/vol2/pp299-303 [accessed 7 March 2020].
South Egliston was neighboured closely by two South Tyneham houses, one of them occupied as a holiday home by Mr. Drew, the Wareham ironmonger, the other by the cattleman in charge of the young stock grazing on South Tyneham.Lilian Bond
The 'holiday home' referred to by Lilian is believed to have been South Egliston Cottage.
South Egliston Cottage residents have included:
- Commander Godfrey Edward Hammond House (1894-1980) & family
- property owned by Harry Hammond House (1863-1958), former Assistant Master at Malvern College
Page last updated: 7 March 2020