Five generations of the Lucas Family are known to have lived at Tyneham. ‘Shepherd’ Lucas and his family lived in the Shepherd’s Cottage at 4 The Row.
James Lucas (1750-1790)
James was born at Sixpenny Handley, Dorset and baptised there on 27 January 1750. He was the son of John Luccas and his wife Martha Luccas nee Joy.
James married Grace Gronday (1751-1810) at Sixpenny Handley on 20 July 1775.
James and Grace had at least three children:
- Grace Lucas (1777-?)
- Ann Lucas (1779-?) – baptised at Tyneham on 25 July 1779
- James Lucas (1780-1832) – baptised at Tyneham on 26 November 1780 – see below
James senior died at Coombe Keynes in May 1790.
His widow Grace married John Bushrod at Wool, Dorset on 19 February 1792. Grace died at Wool and was buried on 20 November 1810.
James Lucas (1780-1832)
James was born at Tyneham and baptised there on 26 November 1780.
James married Ann Dorey at Coombe Keynes on 2 May 1809.
James died in January 1832 and was buried on 6 January 1832 in the churchyard.
William Lucas (1822-1891)
William was the son of James Lucas and his wife Ann Lucas nee Dorey. He was baptised at Tyneham.
William married Harriett Anstey (1826-1905) at Tyneham on 3 October 1847.
William and Harriett had nine children, at least one dying in infancy:
- James William ‘Shepherd’ Lucas (1848-1925) – see below
- Fanny Lucas (1851-1932)
- George Lucas (1852-1917)
- Elizabeth Anne Lucas (1856-1925)
- Henry Lucas (1860-?)
- Jane Maria Lucas (1861-1948)
- Mary Charlotte Lucas (1865-1865)
- Louisa Lucas (1867-1907)
- Robert Lucas (1871-1953)
William died in May 1891. His widow Harriet died in 1905.
James William ‘Shepherd’ Lucas (1848-1925)
Shepherd Lucas was born at Tyneham to William Lucas (1822-1891) of Tyneham and his wife Harriett Lucas (nee Anstey) (1826-1905) who are pictured above.
Shepherd Lucas married Jane Diskett (1851-1931) of Compton Valence at Tyneham on 2 October 1871.
Shepherd and Jane had ten children, all born at Tyneham:
- William James Lucas (1872-1967) – William married Clara Louisa ‘Louisa’ Moore (1884-1973) of Child Okeford and they had three children:
- Frederick James Lucas (1905-?) – Frederick married Ethel Florence Davis (1909-1976).
- William George Lucas (1907-1971) – William married Winifred Mabel Miles (?-?) and they had seven children
- Irene Kate Louise Lucas (1909-1993) – Irene married Edgar James Burgess (1906-1991) at Bryanstone, Dorset on 27 March 1932 and they later settled in Berkshire.
- Annie Maria Lucas (1874-1951) – Annie married Frederick Pearce Rolls (1865-1931) of Bockhampton near Dorchester. Annie and Fred had eight children, the first born at Tyneham and the others at Bockhampton:
- Edith Bessie Rolls (1894-1971),
- Ethel Winifred Rolls (1895-1896),
- William Reginald G Rolls (1896-1897),
- Albert Leonard James Rolls (1898-1961),
- George Rolls (1900-1957),
- Daisy Rolls (1903-1972),
- Hilda Beatrice Mary Rolls (1904-1957),
- Dorothy Kathleen Rolls (1906-1977).
- The family moved to Winterborne Whitechurch.
- Ellen Jane Lucas (1876-1954) – Ellen married Frederick Ernest Parker (1875-1899) at Tyneham on 27 December 1897 and they had one son Wilfred Charles Parker (1898-1988). Sadly Frederick died in 1899. Ellen married George Orchard in 1905 and they had two sons and a daughter: Frederick George William Orchard (1906-1945), Lilian Rose Orchard (1907-1979) and Bertram Orchard (1911-1986).
- George Lucas (1879-?) – George married Miriam Alice Lacey (1878-1949) and they had at least three children in the London area:
- Leslie Ernest N Lucas (1907-1984) – Leslie married Sylvia in 1942 and they had a daughter
- George Lucas b. Tottenham (1909-?)
- Harry William Claude Lucas (1911-2005) – Harry married Irene Vera West (1920-1995) in 1940.
- Bessie Lucas (1880-1923) – Bessie married Benjamin Cooper (1877-?), a Royal Naval Officer, at Tyneham on 19 December 1906. Witnesses were brother William Lucas, sister Edith Kate Lucas and her future husband Percy Beach. Bessie and Benjamin had four children all born at Emsworth, Hampshire:
- Archibald Benjamin Cooper (1907-1977),
- Hilda Beatrice Cooper (1908-1975),
- Gladys Isabel May Cooper (1910-2000),
- Wilfred Albert Leonard Cooper (1913-1989).
- Charles Henry Lucas (1882-?) –
- Edith Kate Lucas (1885-1958) – Edith married Percy Beach at Tyneham on 5 August 1911 and moved to Upwey. Edith and Percy had two sons:
- Cecil Stanley Beach (1913-1974)
- Rowland Percy Beach (1916-1986).
The lowest cottage in the row was the shepherd’s by tradition and occupied for many years by the Shepherd Lucas, his wife and their tribe of fair and blue-eyed children. As if her numerous offspring and their progeny were not enough to occupy her heart and hands she made herself the unofficial sick nurse of the village, dealing with accidents and confinements with remarkable skill.Lilian Bond
Page last updated: 4 July 2021
Home|Families|A-E|F-J|K-O|P-T|U-Z Five generations of the Lucas Family are known to have lived at Tyneham. ‘Shepherd’ Lucas and his family lived in the Shepherd’s Cottage at 4 The Row. James Lucas (1750-1790) James was born at Sixpenny Handley, Dorset and baptised there on 27 January 1750. He was the son of… Continue reading
Home|Families|A-E|F-J|K-O|P-T|U-Z The Wellman Family lived at Gwyle Cottages from about 1912 until 1936. Robert Wellman (1887-1964) Bob was born at Upwey in Dorset to Walter Wellman and his wife Susan Wellman nee Cox. Bob married Alice Victoria Lucas (1887-1975), the daughter of ‘Shepherd Lucas’ and his wife Jane who lived… Continue reading
TYNEHAM AN APPRECIATION. – A correspondent writes: “The death of Mrs. James Lucas, at the age of 80, has broken the last link with the old generation so closely connected with Tyneham Farm. Widow of ‘Shepherd’ Lucas (who died six years ago), she had spent the whole of her married… Continue reading
On Wednesday evening last week the members of the Povington Club visited Tyneham to shoot the return match to that won by the former Club by seven points on February 7th. Tyneham now won by 19 points, making 184 points, and Povington 165. Scores:- Tyneham – J. Curtis (captain), 23;… Continue reading