Tyneham & Worbarrow

… where time stopped in 1943

Dorset ONLINE

Parish Clerks Network


Registered One-Place Study

Past Events / Timeline


If you know of any events not listed below, please email info@tynehamopc.org.uk

Year

Event

Bronze Age

c. 3000BC

Burial mounds are built on Povington Heath

Iron Age

c.   400BC

Flower’s Barrow hill fort is built on the cliff top above Worbarrow Bay

The 13th Century

1297

The original church at Tyneham is built

The 16th Century

1563-1583

Elizabethan main section of Tyneham House is built for Henry Williams

The 17th Century

1641

34 men of Tyneham swear the Protestation Oath

1678

Administration of the goods of Henry Miller

1683

Nathaniel Bond buys Tyneham and Creech Grange

The 18th Century

1744

Nave roof of St. Mary’s Church is covered with lead & other alterations made

1746

Denis Bond dies - his nephew John Bond inherits Tyneham

1784

John Bond dies - son Rev. William Bond inherits Tyneham. He builds the South Transept at St. Mary’s Church for the exclusive use of the Bond family leaving the North Transept for the congregation. The seats become known as ‘the Cowstalls’

1784

The smaller of the two bells at St. Mary’s Church is recast by R Wells of Aldborne

The 19th Century

1831

Reform Riots

1832

South Transept of St. Mary’s Church is replaced with much larger one

1835

James Galton, 53, agricultural labourer from Worbarrow is convicted of smuggling

1841

Jun 7: Census

1851

Mar 30: Census

1852

Mar 5:  Rev. William Bond dies - son Rev. Henry Bond inherits Tyneham

1853

Village Tap built

1860

Tyneham School is built

1861

Apr 7: Census

1865

Coastguard Station is established at Worbarrow

1865

Mar 4: Five men from Worbarrow Coastguard Station drown

1871

Apr 2: Census

1872

A harmonium replaces the barrell organ at St. Mary’s Church

1875

Sep 27: Rev. Henry Bond dies at South Petherton - W.H. Bond inherits Tyneham

1876

Tyneham Rectory is built

1880

South porch at St. Mary’s Church is removed and rebuilt as west porch

1881

Apr 3: Census

1882

Alfred Dawson sketches Tyneham House

1883

Dec 25: The Great Western Railway’s paddle steamer South of Ireland hits the rocks off Worbarrow Bay in fog and is holed. Fortunately all lives are saved.


Left: Artist’s impression of the wreck









1891

Apr 5: Census

1898

Rev. John Bond dies

1899

Dec 10: Tyneham heir Algernon Bond is severely injured in a sortie during ‘The Siege of Ladysmith’ in the Boer War

The 20th Century

1901

Mar 31: Census

1902

Mr & Mrs W.H. Bond present the church with a new pipe organ as a thank-offering for the recovery of their son “Algy” (Algernon)

1910

Worbarrow Coastguard Station is disbanded

1910

Sheepleaze Cottage is built at Worbarrow

1910

An oak tree is planted to commemorate the coronation of King George V

1911

Apr 2: Census

1911

Jun 13: Algernon Bond dies of malaria in Calcutta, India

1914-1918

The Great War

1915

Aug 21: Private Bertie Taylor is killed in action aged 21

1915

Dec 8: Private Henry (“Harry”) Holland is killed in action aged 27

1916

Feb 26: Private William Meech is killed in action aged 28

1916

Nov 13: Private John Holland is killed in action aged 21

1917

The M.O.D. acquires land at Lulworth and commences live firing

1917

Oct 20: Private Henry George Balson is killed in action aged 38

1917

Nov 2: Private Charles Job Cleall is killed in action aged 27

1924

Oct: The new Wooden Village Hall is formally opened

1929

Dec: Wooden Village Hall is destroyed in gales

1929

The public telephone box is installed in Post Office Row

1932

Mar 24: Tyneham School closes because of the ‘small number of pupils’

1935

W.H. Bond dies - son Ralph Bond inherits Tyneham

1939-1945

World War 2

1940

Ralph Bond forms the Tyneham Home Guard

1940

Jul 11: Messerschmitt Me110 crash-landed on Povington Heath

The two-man German crew became the first prisoners of the ‘Battle of Britain’

1941

Radar Station is built on a ridge above Egliston Gwyle

The RAF requisitions Tyneham House as an administration centre for the radar station at Brandy Bay

1943

Nov 16: The parishioners are served with Notice of Eviction from Major General C H Miller of Southern Command

1943

Dec 19: The Military take-over: All residents are evacuated

1944

Feb 25: Able-Seaman Charlton Holland is killed when a German U-Boat sinks HMS Mahratta

1944

Dec 29: Allied convoy TBC 21 is attacked by German U-boat U-772 in the English Channel, 50°28´N, 02°28´W. The freighter Black Hawk is torpedoed and the blast wounds four (one of whom died later). The survivors were taken on board HMS Dahlia and the ship abandoned. The stern

The Black Hawk is probably the most popular dive site for boats going out of Kimmeridge, due to its proximity and relatively shallow depth, which make it suitable for all diver grades. The wreck, a 7,191-tonne Liberty ship, was torpedoed off Portland Bill on 29 December 1944. The ship broke in two, with the stern sinking at a depth of 48m off the Bill. The rest of the vessel stayed afloat long enough for it to be towed in and then run aground in Worbarrow Bay the following day. Today the wreckage lies in 17m of water.

Towed subsequently to Warboro Bay, England, Black Hawk is written off as a total loss.

1947

Dec: Government publishes White Paper ‘Needs of the armed forces for land for training and other purposes’

1948

Mar: Sir Cecil Oakes chairs Public Inquiry at Masonic Hall in Wareham

1952

Compulsory Purchase Order made on Tyneham House

1956

Lilian Bond publishes “Tyneham A Lost Heritage

1966

Fire destroys the Rectory

1967

Dec: Rodney Legg publishes the first issue of Dorset County Magazine which kick-started the ‘Surrender Purbeck’ campaign

1968

May 18: Tyneham Action Group is formed with Philip Draper as chairman and Rodney Legg as honorary secretary

1969

May 22: Deputation from Tyneham Action Group received by M.O.D. in London

1969

Tyneham Action Group publishes “Fight for Tyneham

1970

Prime Minister Edward Heath announces Lord Nugent is to chair a Defence Lands Committee to explore which parts of the M.O.D estates could be returned to private ownership

1971

May 21: Rodney Legg, ‘founder and instigator’ of the Tyneham Action Group, condemns its ‘ill-conceived’ policies

1972

Rodney Legg forms rival organisation with the name ‘The 1943 Committee’ - it publishes its ‘Blueprint for Tyneham’

1972

Aug 28: The 1943 Committee attends a Protest Rally in Tyneham car park

1973

Jul 5: Lord Nugent publishes Defence Lands Committee Report

1973

Jul 5: Rodney Legg establishes ‘Friends of Tyneham

1974

The Government provides £10,000 to create a car park and safe paths

1975

Sep 5: Lulworth Range Walks formally opened by Colonel Sir Joseph Weld

1992

Rodney Legg publishes “Tyneham Dorset’s Ghost Village

1995

Patrick Wright publishes “The Village That Died For England

The 21st Century

2000

Millennium Oak Tree planted in churchyard

2003

Dec 21: 60th Anniversary Carol Service held at Tyneham Church

2007

Dr. Andrew Norman publishes “Tyneham: A Tribute

2007

Nov: The Army launches its Tyneham Farm project

2008

Tyneham Farm renovated and re-opened to the public

2009

R J Saville publishes ‘Tyneham in Purbeck

2012

The K1 Mark 236 Telephone Kiosk is renovated

2012

Nov 11: Service of Remembrance held at Tyneham Church









Top