Initially built as a small bungalow, in 1912, the Bungalow was extended over the years. By 1920 it was already a very sizeable seven bedroom residence as demonstrated by the for sale by auction notice above.
It was home to Mary Jane Wheeler, widow of John Wheeler, a Midlands’ cotton magnate. After she died in 1933 her four adopted children continued to visit with their families and friends. See the Wheeler family page.
At the time of the evacuation in December 1943, Mary Wheeler’s niece, Miss Ethelwyn Maude Ellis, known as Maud, was living at The Bungalow.